We know that summer must finally be here when British strawberries start making an appearance in the shops!
A quintessentially British fruit, strawberries not only pack a punch with flavour but they are full of health benefits too:
- Strawberries are an excellent source of Vitamin C – one serving (approx 8) provides more of this important vitamin that an orange
- They are packed with fibre which is good for the digestive system
- They contain high levels of antioxidants (help to guard against free radical damage to the body’s cells) and thus protect against heart disease and cancer
- Strawberries increase levels of HDL cholesterol (the good cholesterol) and help lower blood pressure
- They also provide the minerals potassium, manganese, folate and magnesium
We are very lucky to have Secrett’s Farm Shop on our doorstep where you can buy punnets of their locally grown strawberries or visit their ‘PYO’ if you fancy picking your own.
Avocado salad with strawberries and melon
- 4 handfuls baby spinach (or Secrett’s mixed salad leaves)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into 16 slices
- 16 thin slices cantaloupe or other orange melon, rind removed
- 1 punnet hulled strawberries, sliced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tbsp runny honey or agave syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar, to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Whisk dressing ingredients together
- Divide spinach among 4 salad plates. Arrange alternating slices of avocado and cantaloupe in a fan on top of the spinach. Top each salad with strawberries, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
If you would like more information on health issues please contact Pippa Mitchell our Nutritional Therapist on 01483 527945