In 2013 almost 31 million days of work were lost due to back pain with an estimated 2.5 million people in the UK suffering annually.
The British Chiropractic Association estimate that 1/3 of us have to take time off work because of back or neck pain which is not only causing individual suffering but costs the UK economy millions in lost working days.
Last week was Back Care awareness week which is promoted by BackCare, the charity for healthier backs, to raise awareness of the problems back pain can cause, as well as giving advice on prevention and treatments.
Unfortunately many people do not seek help for their pain but instead rely on pain killers, home remedies such as hot water bottles and taking to their beds.
None of these are likely to be of help. In fact research shows that keeping mobile is extremely important – see our previous blogs:
http://www.lucksyardclinic.com/help-for-damaged-muscles/ and http://www.lucksyardclinic.com/sit-down-stand-up-more-research/
Recent research has also shown that over the counter pain killers such as paracetamol do not help alleviate back pain any more than a placebo.
What can you do?
Here are some simple steps to prevent and alleviate pain:
- Keep moving throughout the day. Try not to sit at your desk hunched over a computer or laptop for long periods. Move around every 30-45 minutes and stretch your limbs.
- When sitting ensure you have a good posture with your bottom against the back of the seat and your shoulders lightly touching the back.
- When driving make sure your seat is in the right position before you start off. The seat should lean slightly backwards and your arms should not have to stretch too far to reach the steering wheel – check out Rob and Daniela’s YouTube film on how to sit correctly:
- Try to take a walk every day. Lots of research shows how beneficial walking is in all aspects of our life and that includes avoiding back pain too.
- Go and see a chiropractor if the pain is not getting better within a few days. They will make an assessment of your condition and advise on the right treatment for you. This will not necessarily include spinal adjustments but you may benefit from myofascial release and soft tissue work to relieve tension in the muscles.
The Luck’s Yard ChiroMoves DVD and app contain lots of easy exercises and stretches to keep you supple, moving and pain free:
Luck’s Yard offer free 15 minute chiropractic checks to see if and how we can help with your problem.
Call us on 01483 527 945 to book your appointment now