If you have a medical condition that may be helped by exercise, your GP can refer you to a local gym for a rehabilitation programme that has been designed specifically for you.
What is the exercise referral scheme?
A means for GPs and Health Professionals to refer appropriate patients to a qualified exercise specialist. The specialist devises and delivers a 12 week tailored exercise programme for the patient, at a reduced price.
Who is eligible?
You must be:
- Aged 16 years or over
- No contra-indications to exercise
- With any of these medical conditions:
- Weight loss (conditions apply)
- Asthma – not exercise induced and in addition to at least being a smoker and/or sedentary
- Arthritis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Post Phase IV Cardiac Rehab
- Joint injury rehabilitation
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome / Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME)
- Cancer – following treatment and in remission
- Mental Health
How will the scheme help me?
Research shows that increasing the amount of physical activity you do can make significant improvements to your health, well-being and lifestyle. Regular physical activity has been proven to have the following benefits:
- Decreases the risk of heart disease
- Reduces blood pressure
- Controls body weight and decreases body fat
- Improves strength, co-ordination, mobility and balance
- Reduces risk of cancer
- Enhances immune system
- Improves mental well being and reduces the risk of depression
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Increases energy levels
- Controls diabetes
- Prevents and treats muscle and bone injuries and diseases
How much will it cost?
The initial registration fee is £15. You then have two options:
- Pay as you go = £3.90 per gym session or group fitness class and £2.90 per swim
- One off payment = £64 for 12 weeks unlimited exercise sessions (gym, class or swim)
How do I join the scheme?
Visit your local GP or Health Professional and ask if they will refer you on to the Waverley Exercise Referral scheme. Ensure that they give you the official Waverley Referral Form and patient leaflet.
Book an initial appointment with your local leisure centre by visiting or contacting one of the sites.
information supplied by Waverley Borough Council: